Why should I blog if I want to be an illustrator?
Sometimes it feels silly to try to keep up on a blog. After all, more time writing means less time drawing, right? Plus, who really cares what I have to say here? Am I just being vain thinking my random musings are worth other people’s time?
Could I ever help anyone with what I have to say?
Why not just wait to blog or post my drawings until I’m actually “good enough” to be an illustrator?
Good questions, self! I can always count on you to doubt my abilities and plans!
I’ll do my best to answer those questions for myself, and anyone else who wants to know or is thinking about starting their own blog.
So the only good reasons I can think of for having a blog, or doing most things in life, are because it helps myself or it helps others. And the optimistic/idealistic part of myself hopes that this blog can do both!
How I’m using this blog to help myself:
- Organize and better understand my own thoughts/goals/plans by putting them down in words
- Document and save my artistic progress-so I can motivate myself to keep going and see how far I’ve come.
- Motivate myself to be more consistent in creating and studying through peer pressure. (Thanks guys!)
- Learn other useful skills besides illustration like writing, blog tech, social media, etc.
- Let people know I exist! It’ll be hard to make a living creating someday if no one knows I exist.
- Simple enjoyment. Forcing my brain to think of new ideas, develop or organize them, and then put them into sentences is hard! …and also pretty darn fun and satisfying at the end.
- I want to be more honest and open with others, and sharing bits of my life online seems like a decent way to practice that.
How I want to use this blog to help others:
- Share my artistic progress so that others can be encouraged or motivated in their own journeys. If I can improve-you can too!
- Connect with others who are trying to improve at all different levels so we can help each other. I’m still brainstorming and thinking of different ways to do this through my blog. Let me know if you think of one!
- Start working on my ultimate goal-which is to use my art to inspire people to love themselves, each other, and this beautiful world. That is the main goal of my art, and I don’t see why I can’t start trying to do so right away. The sooner I start, the sooner I might be able to actually achieve it.
- Keeping people who know me informed about my life. Like I mentioned in 7 above, I don’t share a lot about my life unprompted. Some people, mostly my mom, might enjoy hearing a bit more about what I’m currently working on or thinking about.
So there it is!
Yes, I’m likely a little delusional, optimistic, and narcissistic to think that my blog is an important and beneficial thing. But I don’t care. I still think it’s worth it and I’ll keep blogging until shown otherwise.
What do you think? Are there more benefits I didn’t think of? Have you ever thought of starting your own blog-why or why not? Let me know in the comments!
And have a lovely (Easter/Fool’s) day! <3